Canadian long weekend

Well this last weekend was the Canadian long weekend. We had a nice relaxing weekend here in sunny White Rock. We spent Saturday in Agassiz with my sister. After the flower show, we went over to my parents (who weren't home) and had a nice dinner of lasagna. We visited with Jos, Andrea and Owen for awhile and then went home around 6:30. Sunday saw us sleeping in a bit and then having coffee. One of our local restaurants has started a buffet breakfast for $8.99/person, so we walked (1 whole block) over and had a very yummy breakfast. We did go out to check out some ideas for a small pond and to pick up a lime tree for our California oasis in our back yard. Doug had a good idea for a pond and we got the necessary items on Sunday and on Monday. So now we have a 64 litre (rubbermaid containter) pond in our back yard with a lily, and a few other plants. A fish is next, or maybe 2 fish. Once we are all done we will post some pictures.

It was a nice weekend. I wish we could have spent more time with people, but it seems everyone is too busy, so that's ok... guess that is the downfall to not having kids. Doug is working on some school work and he managed to get a lot done. I worked a bit on pictures and got a few more pages done. I like the scrapbook using Creative Memories products. I am a little behind, but that is ok... I like looking at the pictures and remembering how much fun we had.

This coming weekend, we will celebrate the American long weekend in Las Vegas. It seems they figured my 40th birthday deserved a national holiday, so heck, why not enjoy it. I turn 40 on Saturday and we are spending 3 nights at Bally's in Las Vegas. I have 2 shows booked already... Le Reve and Mystere. Can't wait to enjoy the bright shiny lights of Vegas. I love cities and all the lights. We will go to some buffett's for food, and maybe even spend a day in the spa of our hotel. I plan to check out some of the free shows that the various hotels offer. Guess it will be a weekend of walking. Not sure exactly that I will do on my birthday, but just being in Vegas is enough.

This is going to be a shorter work week, which is nice. Not so nice for the paycheck, but worth it in the long run. We leave here at about 6am Friday morning... going to go to Denny's for breaky in Ferndale and then be at the airport by 8am... our flight leaves at 9:30am... can't wait. Instead of being at work, I will be on vacation... YIPEE!!!

I just read a post on craiglist about our old place The Morgan. We used to the caretakers there, but due to being overworked and underpaid, we decided to quit. We loved the concept of the job and would consider doing it somewhere else at some point. The place was filled with a lot of young people who didn't like rules and it was hard to deal with. We were told to enforce the rules, but when we did, then we were told we should be leniant... good grief... stick to one thing and follow through. It was hard living there though... we loved the idea of a pool, but the people so abused it, that the rest of us couldn't enjoy it. I loved having a pool in my own place, but the last few months I couldn't even step into that area. So I guess this year I will have to learn to swim more in the ocean since we are only steps away from it. We have a really nice place... it's about 1050 square feet with a huge balcony. It's a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom unit. The living room is kinda small, but we don't need much for 2 people and 2 recliners. Our bedroom is pretty big and we love our master bath with the huge soaker tub. The biggest bonus is living right across the street from the beach. We can drive into our underground parking and giggle at everyone else who has to find parking LOL.

No big vacations booked until September. Then we are doing a cruise and spending some time in Florida. We are looking forward to meeting some new friends on the cruise. We met these people (Tim & Aislinn) on a cruise forum about a year ago and have been chatting ever since. We are also on each other's facebook. They are Mormons and it has been fascinating to learn about their beliefs. Turns out Mormons are Christians (or at least these two are) and it's nice to talk to people about their beliefs because I have been told (by media) that Mormons are not Christians. I think we all need to step outside of our box a bit and not put "Christianity" as a set of characteristics because there are no set rules for that. Mormons can be Christians just like anyone else. I think this world has a very small view of who can be Christians and boy will people be surprised on who will be in heaven with us. I think the whole concept of Christianity has to be opened up a bit. Too many rules and politics in church has made Christianity not for everyone, and Jesus was born on this earth for EVERYONE. God sent him down as a human so that he has a connection with us. I think we are due for a paradigm shift of our beliefs... I know mine has changed a lot in the last few years.

Are we ready for that paradigm shift? I hope I am because I want to see it. I want to see everyone be accepted as children of God, no matter your sexual orientation, your religious beliefs, or your rebellious personality. Are we able to see Christianity outside of the box? Other than the basic acceptance of Jesus in our hearts and lives, there is great interpretation of how Christianity looks and we shouldn't judge others if it looks different than our small box. Step out of that box and see if it can look different. It is starting too for me and I like it... for once I feel a little normal in all the mayhem. Bring it on.
0 Responses