The Mustang through Agassiz

We spent that afternoon with my sister and her family in Agassiz at a flower show called Buds n' Bloom. They were selling their Rhododendrons and my parents where visiting with my other sister, so we figured we would join Andrea (my sister) and keep them company in Agassiz... do you want to know how Agassiz fits into my life??? If you don't, then feel free to stop reading this post because this will be mostly about my experience in Agassiz and how it affected my life.

I grew up on a mountain (Mt. Woodside) near the small town of Agassiz. My dad was a teacher at Agassiz Secondary School. My mom was a stay at home mom. Being a 1 income family was hard on them, but the sacrificed so that my mom could stay home (she used to be a teacher). Living on a mountain was not my idea of fun, but it was interesting. We had no neighbours to go visit, but we did have a huge playground... too bad I prefered to stay inside and watch tv LOL.

My life in Agassiz started in Kindergarten and it didn't start to well. I only knew German, so going into an all english school was a little tough on me and so I spent the first year of my school life hiding in the washroom. It eventually got better and I learned english and loved to read books and go into a world of my own. I had a few friends, but with me being so shy, it was hard to find friends. Then in grade 5 a new student showed up (named Monica) and she made my life HELL... she took the few friends I had and turned them against me and I would say for the rest of my school life it was a life of being bullied and being put down. I would befriend the unpopular kids and that didn't help either... I was bullied and nobody could do anything about it.

My dad was a teacher in the school that I went to from grade 7 - 11 and he knew about it and did the best he could, but what can you do about bullies??? If you tell on them, they just get worse. So I took it for the most part, and learned to ignore them. Thankfully I had amazing parents who always told me how wonderful I was and along with my faith in God, I managed to survive my school years. My last year (grade 12) I went to a different school and that was amazing. Here was a huge school that if you were a Christian, they really didn't care. I can totally relate to those kids that want to quit life in high school... my experience was horrible and I would never want anyone to live through that. If nothing else, it made my faith strong and I never faltered from that and knew that God was always there for me.

I have a few people on my facebook from those days, but not that many. I would prefer not to have any memories from those days of being bullied. I did get an apology from one of my bullies a few years ago, so that was nice. They aren't on my facebook, but I told her why I didn't want her on there. I accepted her apology but it doesn't change the past and those memories that come along with that.

So why the title of the post??? I drove through Agassiz today in my hot new car and it was an amazing feeling. I am not a nobody... I didn't let their bullying get to me and I made something of myself. I am a strong Christian, I have an amazing husband and my parents are my best friends... I also have an amazing car that makes me feel cool... sigh... it felt good to drive through and feel strong and proud of who I am.

I have been a Christian since I was about 4 years old. I have stood strong in my faith all my life and have always had God by my side. I would pray that God would give me strength as I dealt with the hurtful people in my life. When I said the F word at age 5 and had no idea what it meant (remember I only knew German), I right away knew it was a bad word and apologized to God for that right there and then in the playground at school. I have been blessed to have that comfort of God/Jesus in my life and it made such a difference. Thankfully I survived also because of my parents... they made coming home from school safe. I may have had a sucky school life, but I had a great home life. I had parents that cared for me and thought I was special... what more can one need than that?

We all have stories of sadness and woe... mine might not seem as horrible as those people who were sexually abused, etc... but it's my story. I survived it and as I turn 40 in a week, I can look back on that small amount of time and look at who I am now and I can be proud. I have a Mustang... what more in life do I need? HA HA HA... but there is something that just makes me feel like I have accomplished life... can one be that happy about a silly car? I think it's the spirit of it too... that feeling of ??? This is where I am not good at words... I can't explain that feeling inside me right now and how grateful I am for my Mustang and how I feel when I drive it. It may be taken away from me tomorrow (I hope not though), but that won't change how I have felt the last two months, so for that I am so very grateful.

Thank you God for the many joys you bring to me... for caring that I like toys sometimes... and for letting me have some (car, my tivo, etc). God grants us the desires of our hearts and so far I can say that he has done a great job. I love you God (Jesus)
2 Responses
  1. duggy Says:

    While we know that it is God that gets us through things, we also believe that He allows us to get some comfort from our stuff; our worldly possessions. We know that it could be gone tomorrow; but right now, maybe because of where we are in our lives emotionally, we take comfort in our toys.
    It might just be a silly car, but it is symbolic of where we are at, and how we have arrived here. Yes, it could be gone tomorrow, but that is okay, because a gift from God is just that - a gift. He will give us another gift, if we so desire.
    Love ya!


  2. Marg Says:

    Welcome to the world of blogging...I have enjoyed it thoroughly over my past years. I've made many new friends that inspire me and motivate me.
    I appreciated your story..I can just see you speeding full force ahead on your throttle through Agassiz, letting the whole world know that you are free indeed.