Here is our church...

It is a start of a new year. Not sure how I feel about 2011. It was an ok year, but nothing to fantastic. I didn't work as much as I wanted, so that means our credit cards are a little higher than we want. Doug was layed up for a few months (but thankfully he could still work). He is doing much better, so that has been really nice. We did loose out on our summer because of that, so I think our vacation to Hawaii next month is something we are looking forward to even more.

Yesterday Doug was asked to help out with a worship team playing drums. We don't go to the church at all. I think most people on a worship team would have issues with that but not this worship team... they are just happy if someone will play and fill in when there is a need. This got me thinking about our church situation again and here is my take on it...

Here is our church... it is a handful of people who get together once a week to talk about their lives, God and just regular people stuff. We have no structure, just ideas and fun. When there is a need in the group, it is filled... for example last August I was exhausted from having to do everything for Doug. I just couldn't keep up with things, so I asked our group if they could help with food and everyone of them chipped in. Yup, that is what church is about. To me, that is church... we may only be 9 people, but it is church to me. We even do things outside of our meeting time... for example a few weeks ago the ladies (yes I will use that term) went downtown and shopped... yup, there I was wandering stores like LuLu Lemon (what the heck kind of stupid name is that) in downtown Vancouver with some wonderful ladies. Even though I am not a shopper, I enjoyed my time with them. It was nice getting to know them a little more. Tomorrow I am going to a ladies only brunch and then we are going for tea after... if anyone knows me, this is so unlike what I like to do... but it is all about getting to know people better and doing things outside of your comfort zone.

This is all church for me... and for now, this is all I need. Anyone who thinks that being a Christian means you have to do more church than that, has rocks in their head. I believe church looks different to everyone. It is all about our relationship with other Christians and how we live our lives for Jesus/God. I like this church that we are in... sure some of them are part of a bigger "formal" church, but they have no expectations of us and in fact, they are ok with Doug helping out in their worship team at the "formal" church.

I did ask Doug yesterday a question... and here is what it was... "do I look weird being with a bunch of 30 and younger people?" Everyone in our little church is much younger than us. I want to make sure we fit in and not embarrass them when we are in public, as I tend to like Mickey Mouse just a little too much LOL. Doug says I fit in fine, and that makes me glad. It is hard being in our 40's and feel much younger than that. I love how they all except us for who we are, even if we are the old folks of the group. We are both very grateful for each and every one of them and how they have become a part of our lives. Unless we move to California anytime soon, we plan on being a part of their lives for a long time... they will have to kill us to get rid of us (or find a way for us to move to California LOL).

So that is my post about our church...
0 Responses