Death

Sometimes when driving I have wandering thoughts…so on my way to Bellingham I heard the song by Mercy Me called “I can only Imagine”. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xwzItqYmII  Yes, death has been on my mind for a little while. It started from a post that a friend of mine posted about the whole thing on facebook about putting up silly status updates to raise awareness about cancer. I agreed with her…how does that make one aware of such a horrible disease? It isn’t as if we haven’t been touched by it somehow. I can’t imagine anyone has gotten away with having nobody in their life with cancer. I am a firm belief of actions…no matter the illness, or the need. I think we all need dinner made for us by someone else. I think we all need that call from a friend that says “wanna do coffee?” I think we all need that hug from a friend that says “we love you”.

Death has touched us all…my first real death that made me sad was my favourite cousin from Germany. He died when I was a teenager. I have had another cousin die (3 days before my wedding). I have had a grandma die at a very young age. Two of my uncles of died (one from MS) which leaves my dad with only 2 sisters and no brothers anymore. I haven’t lost a parent or a sibling and for that I am grateful. I have not felt that gut wrenching sorrow that comes from loosing one of your closest people in your life. I know I have a friend that has dealt with that when she lost her parents and is now dealing with it as her husband has lost his dad.

Death is so permanent and I think that is what I always have troubles with. There is no changing your mind. I know (in my heart), that I will go to a better place where there is no more sorrow, but it is hard to tell your head that. But when I listen to Bart sing “I Can Only Imagine” it does bring a little more peace to me on what it might be like. I do know that God will give me peace when it comes time to deal with such things…I have felt that peace when I thought Doug was dying, so I do know that God is there.

Cancer sucks, but so does every other illness or accident that takes away a loved one from our lives. We need to make sure that the loved ones in our lives know they are loved…tell every day, every hour, every second. It is NEVER enough.

I drove home to a much happier song…Mandesa singing “Overcomer”…a much happier song and one that resonates in me at the moment. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8VoUYtx0kw&feature=kp

0 Responses